Carbon monoxide is an extremely dangerous gas that is very difficult to detect without proper equipment. To keep yourself and your household safe from the potentially lethal effects of carbon monoxide, preventative measures should be taken. What are they?
One of the most important measures you can take against carbon monoxide poisoning is to install CO detectors on every level of your home, particularly near sleeping areas. Test them regularly.
Another essential step is to have all fuel-burning appliances (such as furnaces, water heaters, stoves, and fireplaces) inspected and serviced annually by qualified professionals. Regular maintenance helps ensure that these appliances are working efficiently and not producing excessive CO.
Ensure proper ventilation for fuel-burning appliances. Keep vents and chimneys clear of debris, or other obstructions that may prevent the escape of CO gases. Avoid blocking air vents inside your home as well.
If you use a generator during power outages, make sure it is located outside and away from windows, doors, and vents. Never use a generator inside your home, garage, or enclosed space, as it can lead to CO buildup.
Do not use ovens, stovetops, or outdoor grills as a source of heat inside your home. These appliances are not designed for this purpose and can produce dangerous levels of CO.
Never leave your car engine running in an enclosed garage, even with the garage door open. Pull your car out of the garage immediately after starting the engine.
What should you do if you suspect CO poisoning or if your CO detector sounds an alarm? Call the emergency services and do not re-enter the premises until they have been deemed safe by professionals.